Family at Cleveland Ron at Roedale Nursery 1933
Ronald through home study attained the Diploma of the Royal Horticulture Society in 1937. He continued his advancement within the Parks and Gardens Department and on his retirement in 1976 after 44 years service was the Deputy Director of Parks, responsible for the floral bedding throughout the town. He had also developed a new nursery, a large area of glass including a Palm House at Stanmer Park, which was responsible for the production of the floral bedding, shrubs and herbaceous plants for the various parks, and house plants for indoor floral displays.
The Department regularly put on displays at the Royal Horticultural Society Floral Halls in London winning several Gold Medals. Another one of his many projects was setting up a National Collection of Lilacs (Syringa) which were planted along a border in Withdean Park, Brighton.
He was also responsible for promoting a bedding competition in Preston Park when other Parks Departments and Garden Societies were invited to submit a flower bed design which were planted alongside the main road into Brighton and judged annually.